Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Correlation?

Why is it that everyone that sits next to me on the bus smells like they just put out their cigarette literally as they stepped onto the bus? It isn't like there is a lot of extra air I can breath when I'm sandwiched between a smelly smoker and another smelly smoker. I'm confused as to why people still smoke anyway? Isn't that like so 1990's?

I have even seen, on several different occasions, people rolling their own cigarettes while they ride. I've had to do a few double takes to make sure it was tobacco. Or there is always the guy who holds a cigarette in his mouth the entire ride so he can light it the second he gets off, even though he probably only has been on the bus for a maximum of 20 minutes. I can never tell how old the smokers are either. They're kind of a tricky bunch. But mostly they smell.

So I started wondering why EVERYONE who rides the bus smokes cigarettes. When I started analyzing the situation, I started thinking that people who ride the bus probably don't have cars. Why don't these people have cars? Probably because they can't afford cars. Why can't they afford cars? Duh! Because they have to support their expensive addiction to cigarettes! Could there be a correlation between people who can't manage their finances well enough to own a car and cigarette addiction? Seems logical to me, but maybe it is because they have health issues from smoking and they spend their potential car money on hospital bills.

This correlation between smoking and finances and health was further evaluated when I was recently in the hospital and everyone that sat next to me smelled like smoke. No matter how sick they were, they got up every now and then for a cigarette. Why are you in the hospital I wondered? Could it be because of a smoking related health issue? I don't know.

I know that the smokers out there are probably saying that they stay the 20 feet away from buildings or whatever the law is. But the fact is that you still smell and you still don't have a car.

Maybe someone else has a hypothesis as to why smokers ride the bus, but mine is because they spend all their money on cigarettes...seems like there might be a correlation to me!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice! Do you smell like a cigarette when you walk into work in the morning? or when you get home at night too? I HATE it when I visit my rents because I smell like and ashtray when I leave their house.

    I definitely believe there is a correlation. People generally turn to addiction when they are depressed, especially due to financial woes... Good observation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear restaurants,

    Having a smoking section is like having a peeing zone in the swimming pool.

    Sincerely, still stinks everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha...nice Tiff!! When I go home to visit...they still have some restaurants that have a smoking sections...do they really believe a half wall with glass that doesn't got up to ceiling with an open walk way is going to keep out the smoke?!?! Put a door on that shit...in fact you don't even need to put a roof over that room and you could put it in the back of the restaurant!! Its called an alley...let the smokers eat back there! ;)

    ReplyDelete